Friday, July 22, 2011

Wonky Nine Patch Blocks

Hello there,

So I needed a wee break from the larger projects that I have been working on lately. I sometimes find that with the larger projects that since they take so much time to finish (that is their nature after all), that if I have multiple projects on the go at the same time or make some smaller projects that I am more likely to finish the larger projects and not have them be a never ending WIP (work in progress).

I have been following the blog Modabakeshop and they have TONS of tutorials submitted by many of the very talented quilters that are out in the blog-o-sphere. What I really like about Moda Bake Shop is that it leads me to the blogs of the quilters who submitted the quilting tutorials, as well as the very simple and easy to understand tutorials (which is much appreciated by a self taught newbie quilter). The particular blocks that I made were inspired by the Strawberry Fields Forever Quilt that was designed by Jera Brandvig. Here is a link to her blog - Quilting in the Rain.

I made the blocks slightly smaller, so that I could get the most out of the fabric fat quarters that I bought a while ago from Stampin' Up! And, I have been wanting to make some of these blocks ever since the tutorial was posted online.

They are very simple blocks to create. Here are some pictures that I took during the process of making the quilt blocks.




Each of the squares started out as a 8" square, and then were cut on an angle and sewn together. There really is no wrong way to make these squares as any combination or number of different fabrics would work (that is as long as there are 2 or more fabrics of course).  The the squares get rotated, and cut again on an angle and once again sewn together.

Here is a picture of all the block pieces sewn together. I like how no two blocks are the same!



After the blocks were assembled, I played with the placement of the squares and added a strip of white cotton in between each square. I plan on using one of the fabrics for the back (probably the blue with red dots) and then another for the binding (I am thinking the striped fabric).


I am not sure if I like the larger border on this one (but I can trim it down to match the sides if I want to). I had intended to do a 2" border, but didn't realize that I had cut the side pieces thinner until after everything was sewn.


This one has the same size border all the way around. Still not sure which one I like better.

Well, I am off to iron the fabric for the backing and binding, then finishing these little quilts - hopefully tonight! :)

Have a great night! Happy quilting! :)

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment