Saturday, July 9, 2011

Butterflies In Blue - Part 1

Good afternoon,

This is one of the quilts that I am currently working on. Kristin asked me to make her a quilt (and that she would pay me for it) - so it got bumped to the "front of the line". I hope that the intended recipient of the quilt (gotta keep this part a secret - I don't think that the individual will discover it on my blog - but I don't want to spoil the surprise) will like the quilt and the colours and fabric chosen.

Here's some shots of the butterflies. They are cut using the BigShot Machine and the Beautiful Butterflies Die. The great thing about the BigShot is that it can cut multiple layers of fabric at once - which certainly makes cutting multiple items much easier. (but I wouldn't recommend cutting more than about 8 layers - because if you do - you might wind up doing damage to the die).

Each Butterfly got temporarily attached to a cream piece of fabric, and then hand sewn. Everyone thought that I was CRAZY to hand stitch all the butterflies. I only had 45 to do - and it took me about 2 weeks. Then each square will have a patterned fabric border (in different fabric then the butterfly). The squares currently have the right and left sides sewn, and the top and bottom border pieces are all pinned - they just need to be sewn.


OK, I am going back to the sewing machine.

Have a great night!

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment