Friday, October 7, 2011

FWQAL - End of Week 1

Hello All,


Here is an update on the progress of my FWQAL blocks.


But first some acronym information for you. I will be using these acronyms quite frequently so I figured that I should explain them early on.


FWQAL - Farmer's Wife Quilt A Long
HST - Half Square Triangles
QST - Quarter Square Triangles


Here are some of the blocks that I have completed.


Block # 4 Basket Weave

I am not the happiest with this block. It should be 6.5" unfinished and it is closer to 6.25" square. I will probably turn this one block into either a square mug rug or a pot holder/trivet.

Block # 20 Churn Dash

Block # 41 Friendship Star


I had planned on making block # 6 (Big Dipper), but I discovered after I had sewn, ironed, and trimmed the blocks that I had sewn the triangles on the wrong edge (thus making 8 HST's instead of 8 QST's)... and I could have ripped out the thread, but since the seam was on a bias edge (and I was concerned that if I ripped out the seams that the bias edge would stretch). So, I decided to use the HST squares in different blocks.

I am not sure which blocks that I am going to tackle next, but seeing as there is no time frame on making this quilt, I am going to take my time.

On a different note...I ordered the fabric for my brother's wedding present. My brother Graeme and future sister-in-law Alysha know that they are getting a quilt - just don't know the exact fabric or pattern - but Alysha has provided me some input on some different fabric and the pattern of the quilt but said that she trusted me with the overall design.

I should be back soon with some more quilt tops....I am starting to work on some Christmas presents, but it should be safe to post them here as the intended recipients most likely don't visit my blog.

Off to bed soon. Thanks for stopping by.

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment