Saturday, September 10, 2011

I think I figured it out...

Hello Again,

So you already know that I have bought some new fabric and figured out the quilt design (the inspiration can be found here). Well, after searching the web for a pattern (and instructions on how to make the block) - I found a couple that were similar that allowed me to adjust the design of the quilt block slightly.

I have been practicing with some scrap fabric so that there would be minimal waste of the new fabric. I have decided to make 6" blocks (which when finished will be 5 1/2" squared). The blocks are assembled with paper piecing. And after practicing on a few block I have learned a whole bunch - like that shorter stitches make it easier to remove the paper once the block has been formed. And that it is easier to trim the block with the paper still attached.

Here is a couple of pictures of the two blocks.


This block made with Stampin' Up fabric (Candy Cane Christmas) and is 7" square.
I plan on making a pot holder with this one.


This block is some old fabric from my stash (that had been used in the past for a skirt).
I plan on making 3 more blocks and sewing them together for a larger block.

I will be back later with some pictures of the quilt once I start it. :)

Have a great night!

Katie


No comments:

Post a Comment