Saturday, September 3, 2011

Cartwheels and Candy Canes ...

Good Evening!!

I bet when you saw the blog title that you thought I was talking about the gymnastic type of cartwheels...but did you know that there is (at least one) other?!? I have been playing a little bit with my sewing machine (still trying to decide on a quilt pattern for the fabric that I bought back in July).

I have tried some Wonky 9 Patch Blocks (see the earlier post here), but decided that they were not quite what I wanted for the quilt.

I have been going through some of the quilt tutorials from Moda Bake Shop (click here to see more) and thought that I would try the Cartwheel Quilt by Amanda Jean at {Crazy Mom Quilts}. The thing that I like about this quilt/quilt block is that they are just straight lines, but it looks a bit like if there are curves (and no triangles - I am not quite ready for those yet).

I have some pictures of my progress so far. I used Stampin' Up! Candy Cane Christmas fabric and have made 3 blocks!!

Here are some pictures...

The blocks start out as 2 1/2" strips - two of them sewn together.


Then the long strips are cut into shorter 4 1/2" blocks.


Next 4 blocks are laid out creating the "Cartwheel" shape.


And here are the first 3 blocks sewn together.




I have enough small blocks to make 12 cartwheel blocks...just don't know what I am going to make with them. I might just make a small quilt (3x4 blocks), or perhaps a table runner (2x6 blocks), or maybe cut more fabric for a larger lap quilt?!? Any suggestions on what I should make??

Anyway, I am going back to the sewing machine to make more blocks.

Have a wonderful evening.

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment